Monday, June 18, 2012

Does it Matter?


Lately I've been thinking a lot about my daily and weekly life and wondering if it really matters.  It all can seem so mundane; work, be sick, work, be sick, dishes, laundry, cooking, exercise, feed the dog, take medications & supplements, respond to emails and Facebook, be sick, run errands, clean the car, play taxi for siblings, etc., etc., etc.  I look at friends and their "exciting" lives...college graduation, ministry/mission work, great jobs, amazing travels, kids, etc. and feel like I should be doing more bigger "better" things. (And for the record, it sure as heck reminds me of the downfall of comparison!)

But comparison aside, I still question it at times, especially the weeks that feel like all I do is get up, take meds & supplements, shower, go to work, come home, eat, and collapse in my room until I start the same cycle the next day.  Thankfully those days have been a little less common the past couple weeks and I've been able to add in lots of time with friends & family and plenty of errand running and house cleaning and food cooking. 

When I look at the Scriptures, I'm reminded that each little thing matters and that life is made up of the little moments, not the big ones (important as they may be). "He who is faithful in what is least is faithful also in much; and he who is unjust in what is least is unjust also in much." (Luke 16:10) "This is the day that the Lord has made; we will rejoice and be glad in it." (Psalm 118:24) "Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; great is Your faithfulness. "The Lord is my portion," says my soul, "Therefore I hope in Him!" (Lamentations 3:22-24)


I love how these verses talk about the "least" things as something not to overlook, how each day is one to rejoice and be glad in, and how each and every day--no matter how "mundane"--God's faithfulness and mercies remain the same.  Somehow mundane days don't seem so mundane when looked at through the filter of God's Word.  Each "little" day, "little" decision, "little" responsibility, "little" joy, each on matters!  It's also sobering to realize that if we do the little things poorly, we'll do the big ones poorly too.


Also, when I look at how Jesus lived His life, He didn't live for the big moments (ie, raising a dead man back to life?!!).  He was a servant, down the littlest, most humbling tasks. "So when He had washed their feet [WASHED THEIR STINKY DIRTY FEET, FOLKS!], taken His garments, and sat down again, He said to them, 'Do you know what I have done to you? You call Me Teacher and Lord, and you say well, for so I am. And if then, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also ought to wash one another's feet. For I have given you an example, that you should do as I have done to you. Most assuredly, I say to you, a servant is not greater than his master; nor is he who is sent greater than he who sent him. If you know these things, blessed are you if you do them.'"  (John 13:12-17) As Christ's daughter, I deeply desire for my daily life to reflect Him and Who He is and how He lived his brief life on earth.  And it looks like that is done by humbling myself, loving others, and serving them in whatever way I can, no matter how menial or mundane. The song below is one of my favorites and echoes one of the deepest, deepest cries of my heart as I live each day of this life God has given me.


*All photos taken from my "wisdom" Pinterest board*

4 comments:

  1. It was great to read your last couple posts, sis. So true as always! Really praying for you!
    -Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautifully expressed, dear! God's been speaking to me about taking each day as it comes, be it's events "ordinary" or unexpected. Thank you for the reminder that every little bit counts in His story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're a great writer Naomi! Everyone is in a different season of life. I remember life without kids- without a husband- doing the same "mundane" things day after day. God has special plans just for you Naomi, and He is getting them ready. It's not always that you aren't ready for them- but that other people involved aren't. I liked the sermon series "The Waiting Room" by Steven Furtick at Elevation Church. http://www.elevationchurch.org/sermons/waitingroom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Its SO true. I'm proud of you!! :) And, I'll toss in, that...it may look like those friends have exciting lives & ways to serve the Lord...more than what you do, but I can speak from experience; we look at you and wish we could serve and impact lives how you do! Having a wonderful husband, and sweet kiddo certainly feels mundane at times... :D...picking up the same toys, cleaning the house (during each naptime), cooking dinner... :) you know how it goes! But, it's all the same! Service for the Lord that we're called for. Thank you for your sweet spirit and encouragement to be humble and a sweet servant. I'm praying for you dear friend. Wish I could be by your side...

    ReplyDelete