Monday, February 6, 2012

From Hospital Room 219...

Saturday early afternoon, I blogged from my bed at home. Little did I know that within a few hours I'd be in a hospital bed...and would still be there on Monday.  And on Monday would still not know when I'll be able to back home.  Life sure has a way of throwing me for a loop....

Crohn's is a complicated, chronic disease.  It's been an incredibly painful past several years but this is the first that it's been so uncontrollable.  I'm grateful that until the past few days I never had to know what it was like to live on Morphine to survive the pain.  It's crazy.  As much as the side effects hurt after they shot it into the IV, the relief it gave a half hour after each administration was worth it.

On Friday I had a test done that has greatly contributed to these complications and pain.  It's rather frustrating that I was not warned ahead of time about these possibilities...  Such is life and now we're dealing with the after effects.  

So far I don't need surgery but there is concern that a complete blockage could form.  There is a lot of swelling, inflammation, and constriction in especially one spot (the killer pain spot).  The Barium that I had to drink for the test Friday is stuck in my system and can turn to a cement like substance if we don't get it through there.  That is the biggest prayer need right now....

So here I sit in room 219 surrounded by evidence of all the love and care of family and friends.  This afternoon is the first time I've been alone more than a half hour since I was hospitalized.  Am I one blessed woman or what?!  There are flowers and cards and a super cute pink frog covering the window sill.  My hair is finally clean thanks to my friend Lydia helping me wash it when she stopped by this morning.  My phone is dinging frequently.  My IV keeps drip, drip, dripping.  And I continue to sit and wait...wait for the pain to subside, for all the other crazy symptoms to calm down, for the Barium to MOVE.  The sitting and waiting is hard...especially when in so much pain.  (They had to stop the Morphine this morning.)


Things could be SO much worse.  God is still on the throne.  He's got a perfect plan beyond anything I can see or imagine.  His love knows no bounds...

1 comment: